Monday, April 19, 2021

On plans and glitches

 When a teacher is too sick to go to work, they have to make sub plans. I have tried to give sub plans that require more of my students than the sub. I don't know the competency of the sub coming in and having been a sub very early in my career, not knowing the subject can be problematic. Less so in the Social Studies than either Math or Science I think. Though that could be my illiteracy in those two subjects driving my opinion. 

I take far too much constructing lessons for a sub, which sometimes brings about an epiphany about how to move forward after I am back in the classroom. So that is a good consequence. The bad is that students will be poop heads when in the presence of a sub and that is most annoying and while, once I leave teaching at the end of this school year I won't sub, ever. My hope is to find my niche in another district and enjoy teaching again. 

I have not enjoyed teaching for about three years. Despite my conflicts with the teacher I worked with for my first 8 years I enjoyed teaching the students and the ability to teach content I thoroughly loved. As the content of what we were teaching began to shift I had my first year of not enjoying teaching. For the last two years I have been out of the environment I enjoyed teaching content I do not enjoy, or rather only enjoyed part of what I was to teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment